At Court Moor Careers, education is delivered in a variety of ways (please note some of the activities may be altered due to ongoing Covid requirements):
- PSHE Curriculum (Yrs 7-8)
- General introduction to careers information and choices including registration and training on START website, a careers based learning platform
- Job study: An opportunity to look at option choices and possible career paths/choices
- Financial Awareness: Using the ‘Real Game’ to explore jobs, leisure time and work life balance.
- Employability skills
- Programme of STEM clubs with external speakers and school visits to companies
- Specific careers related trips, taster days and programmes for small groups.
- 1-2-1 Career advisor meetings (on request), mandatory at Year 11
- Options briefings to explain about vocational and academic choices
- College and Apprentice talks
- Post 16 choices workshops, transition, application advice
- Career focussed assemblies with outside speakers
- Activities week, to include employability skills such as team working and enterprise skills.
- Programme of Career workshops presented by visiting speakers
- Interview Day for Year 10 - practice interviews with external visiting business representatives, CV writing workshops, and Interview techniques
- Work Experience week for Year 10 students
- University visits and presentations
- Promotion of National Citizen Service and Duke of Edinburgh Scheme
A timeline of planned activities can be found on the document link below.
Court Moor Careers Newsletters
Links to Court Moor Careers Newsletters can be found at the links below.
Career Café - Previous Talks
World of Corporate Law
On Friday 27th May 2022, ex-pupil Jagwinder Kaur came to talk to our students in the Career Café about the World of Corporate Law.
Jagwinder qualified as a corporate solicitor in a silver circle firm in the City. She has mentored many young people over the past five years and helped them in their pursuit to secure a career in law, as well as delivering workshops and careers events to students. She is an ambassador for the organisation Aspiring Solicitors and co-founded the Aspiring Solicitors Asian Scholarship
She talked to about 40 students from all year groups about working in the City , the route into a career in law and general career advice.
Jagwinder's presentation can be viewed here: Law-27th-May-2022-Jagwinder-Kaur.pptx
World of Aviation
On 9th June 2022, over 40 students from years 7-10 came to listen to ex-pupil Will Jenkinson talk about being a British Airways Pilot. It was a very popular talk, students had lots of questions. In fact some students went back to class and then came back with more questions.
Currently Will works as a pilot for British Airways. He grew up in Fleet, attending Court Moor, and Farnborough Sixth Form. After this, he joined the aeronautical engineering company Rolls-Royce as an Engineering Higher Apprentice, working on real projects and earning an income, whilst studying for a fully funded degree part-time. Finally, he completed flight training in Oxford and the USA before joining BA as a pilot.
Will spoke about the importance of this area in the history of Aviation and what the role of Pilot is, highs and lows and his journey to becoming a pilot.
Will's presentation can be viewed here: Careers-in-Aviation-June-2022-Will-Jenkinson.pptx
Career Café – New Talks Added
I am really pleased to announce that we have added more Career talks to the Career Cafe Schedule- students can get their ticket by clicking on the links.
They are all held in the Retreat 8:30-9:00 (Unless indicated).
- Thursday 7th April - World of Medicine - Cancer specialist/consultant https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/career-cafe-world-of-medicine-tickets-292385010437
- Thursday 28th April - Working in Science Research in LIBRARY - Chief scientist from Qinetiq https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/careers-cafe-working-in-science-research-tickets-300552730307
- Thursday 5th May- Aeronautical Engineering in Retreat https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/305521150987
- Thursday 19th May - Working in Film and Media - Documentary and Film Maker https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/career-cafe-world-of-media-tickets-300555388257
|Careers Roundup 2021||03rd Dec 2021||Download|
|Court Moor Careers Newsletter Prospect Trust April 2022||08th Apr 2022||Download|
|Court Moor School Careers Timeline 2021 22 updated 030722||11th Jul 2022||Download|