Business is offered at KS4, with the following overarching aims and objectives :
- Know and understand business concepts, business terminology, business objectives, the integrated nature of business activity and the impact of business on individuals and wider society
- Apply knowledge and understanding to contemporary business issues and to different types and sizes of businesses in local, national and global contexts
- Develop as enterprising individuals with the ability to think commercially and creatively to demonstrate business acumen, and draw on evidence to make informed business decisions and solve business problems
- Develop as effective and independent students, and as critical and reflective thinkers with enquiring minds
- Investigate and analyse real business opportunities and issues to construct well-argued, wellevidenced, balanced and structured arguments, demonstrating their depth and breadth of understanding of business
The course is split across 2 themes.
Theme 1 is investigating small businesses - concentrates on the key business concepts, issues and skills involved in starting and running a small business. It provides a framework for students to explore core concepts through the lens of an entrepreneur setting up a business.
Theme 2 is building a business - examines how a business develops beyond the start-up phase. It focuses on the key business concepts, issues and decisions used to grow a business, with emphasis on aspects of marketing, operations, finance and human resources.
To contact the Curriculum Leader for Business Studies, please email: email@example.com