Court Moor School is committed to providing excellent Careers Information, Advice, and Guidance for our students (CIAG).
We aim to deliver for each key stage the following outcomes for our students:
- Students explore and establish their suitability to careers and understand the KS4 subjects that are important to them
- Students understand the factors important to making informed decisions including learning style and career aspirations
- Students build a picture of their career aspirations and subject choices as well as start to evidence understanding of key skills
- Students explore their post-16 options and their intended choices relate to preferred learning style and future career aspirations
- Students and parents understand the application process and entry requirements for their intended choices
- Students capture the experiences and achievements that will help them to stand out on paper and in person
Overview of Activities
At Court Moor Careers, education is delivered in a variety of ways:
- PSHE Curriculum (KS3)
- General introduction to careers information and choices including registration and training on START website, a careers based learning platform
- Job study: An opportunity to look at option choices and possible career paths/choices
- Financial Awareness: Using the ‘Real Game’ to explore jobs, leisure time and work life balance.
- Employability skills
- Programme of STEM clubs with external speakers and school visits to companies
- Specific careers related trips, taster days and programmes for small groups.
- 1-2-1 Career advisor meetings (on request), mandatory at Year 11
- Options briefings to explain about vocational and academic choices
- College and Apprentice talks
- Post 16 choices workshops, transition, application advice
- Career focussed assemblies with outside speakers
- Activities week, to include employability skills such as team working and enterprise skills.
- Programme of Career workshops presented by visiting speakers
- Interview Day for Year 10 - practice interviews with external visiting business representatives, CV writing workshops, and Interview techniques
- Work Experience week for Year 10 students
- University visits and presentations
- Promotion of National Citizen Service and Duke of Edinburgh Scheme
A Timeline of planned activities can be found on the link below. This is only provisional as this is a new initiative for the school and may change.
The information below is suitable for students, parents, teachers and employers.
Key organisations, employers and providers
Court Moor works with a large range of organisations, employers and provider to deliver our careers programme
National Careers Service https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk
Careers and Enterprise Company https://www.careersandenterprise.co.uk/
Other useful websites inlcude:
We also use our growing Alumni Association to build our employer contacts database, but would welcome interest from any company who would like to help young people in their choice of careers. If you are interested or want more information of how you can help then please contact Careers Lead Julia Vale or go to our Alumni page https://www.court-moor.hants.sch.uk/2207/alumni-association or find us on LinkedIn.
Impact of career programme
We assess/measure the impact of the school’s career programme through the dfe published destination data and bi-yearly student/parent surveys.
Start Careers Platform
We are rolling out a programme over this next year where all students will be given access to Start, a free, online careers platform designed to connect 11-18 year olds with their future career potential. It combines the most comprehensive source of information with a personalised experience and career planning tools, helping our students to make more informed decisions about their future study and career options, as well as developing their employability. It provides information suitable for teacher use (subject specific information), information suitable for parents such as local work force information and post 16 courses and options and information for employers who may be coming into the school to work with groups of students.
- A student profile: students build their profile and access personalised study and career information.
- Modules: activities to guide students through the information on Start at the right time.
- Up to date information: engaging content on what to study, where to learn and the world of work.
- Locker: an online record of achievement to evidence skills for future applications and CVs.
- Employability action plan: Students can set goals and stay in control of their career planning.
Students will be registering for the website through Get Set days and PSHE lessons.
Parents, teachers and employers can set up their own account on the website.
Start Overview Video
More about Start can be found at https://www.startprofile.com/
Careers Talks 2019-20
Following on from our successful Career talks programme last year, I am pleased to announce the new schedule for this school year. We have used information from our school careers advisor Nikki Coleman and the Local Market Survey (see attached) to target the jobs that we think students at Court Moor might be interested in. The workshop programme arranged so far is:
- Thursday 12th December 2019- Consultant Oncologist (Route to becoming a Doctor)
- Tuesday 28th January 2020 –QinetiQ (Careers in Electronic Engineering)
- Wednesday 12th February 2020- Overworld (Careers in Games Design)
- Wednesday 11th March 2020- NHS (Careers in NHS)
- Wednesday 29th April 2020 Fleet Mortgages (Careers in Finance)
- Wednesday 20th May 2020- Ashworth Vets (Careers as a vet and a veterinary nurse)
These workshops last about half an hour, starting at 8:30 – 9:00 in the Conference Room, on the date shown above. All students are welcome.
If your child would be interested in any of the workshops then please indicate by completing the online form, or students can sign up themselves from RM Unify (there is a tile called Careers Talks). They can also just turn up on the day, but if you register interest, then we can prepare for numbers.
Please see below our Careers contacts or alternatively you may call the Court Moor admin office on 01252 615065.
Careers Lead: Julia Vale - Assistant Head Teacher
Careers Co-ordinator: Arvinder Mankoo
Careers Advisor: Nickki Coleman
Policy statement on provider access can be found on link below.
Nikki Coleman, Careers Adviser from NC Careers is available in school every Friday and every other Wednesday. Mrs Coleman can be contacted on firstname.lastname@example.org. For information about what Mrs Coleman can offer please see the presentation below.
The impact of the careers programme and destination data can be viewed here.
|careermag for Parents||17th Dec 2019||Download|
|Careers Newsletter - July 2019||17th Jul 2019||Download|
|College Open Events and Taster Sessions 2019-2020||17th Jul 2019||Download|
|Careers Newsletter - December 2018||19th Dec 2018||Download|
|Careers Advice at Court Moor School||28th Nov 2018||Download|
|Policy Statement on Provider Access||02nd Oct 2018||Download|
|Court Moor School Careers Timeline v2||05th Dec 2019||Download|
|Labour Market Information July September 2019||05th Dec 2019||Download|