Court Moor School is committed to providing excellent Careers Information, Advice, and Guidance for our students (CIAG).
We aim to deliver for each key stage the following outcomes for our students:
- Students explore and establish their suitability to careers and understand the KS4 subjects that are important to them
- Students understand the factors important to making informed decisions including learning style and career aspirations
- Students build a picture of their career aspirations and subject choices as well as start to evidence understanding of key skills
- Students explore their post-16 options and their intended choices relate to preferred learning style and future career aspirations
- Students and parents understand the application process and entry requirements for their intended choices
- Students capture the experiences and achievements that will help them to stand out on paper and in person
Overview of Activities
At Court Moor Careers, education is delivered in a variety of ways:
- PSHE Curriculum (KS3)
- General introduction to careers information and choices including registration and training on START website, a careers based learning platform
- Job study: An opportunity to look at option choices and possible career paths/choices
- Financial Awareness: Using the ‘Real Game’ to explore jobs, leisure time and work life balance.
- Employability skills
- Programme of STEM clubs with external speakers and school visits to companies
- Specific careers related trips, taster days and programmes for small groups.
- 1-2-1 Career advisor meetings (on request), mandatory at Year 11
- Options briefings to explain about vocational and academic choices
- College and Apprentice talks
- Post 16 choices workshops, transition, application advice
- Career focussed assemblies with outside speakers
- Activities week, to include employability skills such as team working and enterprise skills.
- Programme of Career workshops presented by visiting speakers
- Interview Day for Year 10 - practice interviews with external visiting business representatives, CV writing workshops, and Interview techniques
- Work Experience week for Year 10 students
- University visits and presentations
- Promotion of National Citizen Service and Duke of Edinburgh Scheme
A Timeline of planned activities can be found on the link below. This is only provisional as this is a new initiative for the school and may change.
Key organisations, employers and providers
Court Moor works with a large range of organisations, employers and provider to deliver our careers programme
National Careers Service https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk
Careers and Enterprise Company https://www.careersandenterprise.co.uk/
We also use our growing Alumni Association to build our employer contacts database, but would welcome interest from any company who would like to help young people in their choice of careers. If you are interested or want more information of how you can help then please contact Careers Lead Julia Vale.
Start Careers Platform
We are rolling out a programme over this next year where all students will be given access to Start, a free, online careers platform designed to connect 11-18 year olds with their future career potential. It combines the most comprehensive source of information with a personalised experience and career planning tools, helping our students to make more informed decisions about their future study and career options, as well as developing their employability. Start includes:
- A student profile: students build their profile and access personalised study and career information.
- Modules: activities to guide students through the information on Start at the right time.
- Up to date information: engaging content on what to study, where to learn and the world of work.
- Locker: an online record of achievement to evidence skills for future applications and CVs.
- Employability action plan: Students can set goals and stay in control of their career planning.
Students will be registering for the website through Get Set days and PSHE lessons.
Start Overview Video
More about Start can be found at https://www.startprofile.com/
Careers Lead: Julia Vale - Assistant Head Teacher
Careers Co-ordinator: Arvinder Mankoo
Careers Advisor: Nickki Coleman
Policy statement on provider access can be found on link below.
Nikki Coleman, Careers Adviser from NC Careers is available in school every Friday and every other Wednesday. Mrs Coleman can be contacted on email@example.com. For information about what Mrs Coleman can offer please see the presentation below.
Dates of all local college open events for 2018-2019 can been viewed in the document below.
|Announcing New Career Workshops||05th Feb 2019||Download|
|Careers Newsletter||19th Dec 2018||Download|
|Careers Advice at Court Moor School||28th Nov 2018||Download|
|College Open Events and Taster Sessions 2018-2019||04th Oct 2018||Download|
|Careers Timeline||02nd Oct 2018||Download|
|Policy Statement on Provider Access||02nd Oct 2018||Download|