Court Moor School is committed to providing excellent Careers Information, Advice, and Guidance for our students (CIAG).
We aim to deliver for each key stage the following outcomes for our students:
- Students explore and establish their suitability to careers and understand the KS4 subjects that are important to them
- Students understand the factors important to making informed decisions including learning style and career aspirations
- Students build a picture of their career aspirations and subject choices as well as start to evidence understanding of key skills
- Students explore their post-16 options and their intended choices relate to preferred learning style and future career aspirations
- Students and parents understand the application process and entry requirements for their intended choices
- Students capture the experiences and achievements that will help them to stand out on paper and in person
Overview of Activities
At Court Moor Careers, education is delivered in a variety of ways:
- PSHE Curriculum (KS3)
- General introduction to careers information and choices including registration and training on START website, a careers based learning platform
- Job study: An opportunity to look at option choices and possible career paths/choices
- Financial Awareness: Using the ‘Real Game’ to explore jobs, leisure time and work life balance.
- Employability skills
- Programme of STEM clubs with external speakers and school visits to companies
- Specific careers related trips, taster days and programmes for small groups.
- 1-2-1 Career advisor meetings (on request), mandatory at Year 11
- Options briefings to explain about vocational and academic choices
- College and Apprentice talks
- Post 16 choices workshops, transition, application advice
- Career focussed assemblies with outside speakers
- Activities week, to include employability skills such as team working and enterprise skills.
- Programme of Career workshops presented by visiting speakers
- Interview Day for Year 10 - practice interviews with external visiting business representatives, CV writing workshops, and Interview techniques
- Work Experience week for Year 10 students
- University visits and presentations
- Promotion of National Citizen Service and Duke of Edinburgh Scheme
A Timeline of planned activities can be found on the link below. This is only provisional as this is a new initiative for the school and may change.
Key organisations, employers and providers
Court Moor works with a large range of organisations, employers and provider to deliver our careers programme
National Careers Service https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk
Careers and Enterprise Company https://www.careersandenterprise.co.uk/
We also use our growing Alumni Association to build our employer contacts database, but would welcome interest from any company who would like to help young people in their choice of careers. If you are interested or want more information of how you can help then please contact Careers Lead Julia Vale.
Start Careers Platform
We are rolling out a programme over this next year where all students will be given access to Start, a free, online careers platform designed to connect 11-18 year olds with their future career potential. It combines the most comprehensive source of information with a personalised experience and career planning tools, helping our students to make more informed decisions about their future study and career options, as well as developing their employability. Start includes:
- A student profile: students build their profile and access personalised study and career information.
- Modules: activities to guide students through the information on Start at the right time.
- Up to date information: engaging content on what to study, where to learn and the world of work.
- Locker: an online record of achievement to evidence skills for future applications and CVs.
- Employability action plan: Students can set goals and stay in control of their career planning.
Students will be registering for the website through Get Set days and PSHE lessons.
Start Overview Video
More about Start can be found at https://www.startprofile.com/
NEW Career Workshop Programme
In January, we successfully launched our career workshop programme. These workshops have been well attended by students from years 7 to 11. As a result of promoting these workshops, more parents and alumni have come forward and offered their services, enabling us to add more talks to the programme. A big thank you to anyone who has volunteered.
These workshops last about half an hour and are 8:15 – 8:45am in the Conference Room. If your child would be interested in any of the workshops then please indicate by completing the online form, or the form outside Careers office. Obviously, we are grateful to these people in giving up their time, it may be that the dates may change but we will let students with a place know beforehand. A list of workshops can been seen below.
|Luke Hadley||Timber Technology||Carpentry||Wednesday 16th January 2019|
|Amy Silver||Fuller Spurling||Chartered Tax Advisor||Wednesday 30th January 2019|
|Ed Redfern||Mercedes-Benz World||Driver Training||Friday 15th February 2019|
|Katie Deeley||Fremantle Media Group Ltd||Senior Branded Entertainment Manager||Tuesday 26th February 2019|
|Ruth Denewton||Aspiring medic's||Oncologist||Thursday 28th February 2019|
|Jane Westby||Waitrose||Buying, merchandising, technical||Friday 1st March 2019|
|Natasha Ginn||Vodafone||Cyber Security||Wednesday 6th March 2019|
|Jacob Polden||Valtech||Software Development||Friday 15th March 2019|
|Mary Swan||Proteus theatre||Performing Arts||Wednesday 20th March 2019|
|Lucy Magri-Overend||Gartner||Research & advisory||Friday 29th March 2019|
|Richard Hoad||Qinetiq||Electronics engineer||Wednesday 3rd April 2019|
|Chloe McClean||Sparsholt College||Schools Liasion Co-ordinator||Friday 5th April 2019|
|Tanya Boomsma||MWRAP marketing||Hospitality/Marketing||Wednesday 24th April 2019|
|Katie Lancaster||Southern Communications Ltd||Accountant||Thursday 25th April 2019|
|Jenny Goulding||Agile HR consulting||HR||Wednesday 1st May 2019|
|Vicky Bailey||Zurich||HR Insurance/Finance||Thursday 9th May 2019|
|Lorna Dennard||Self employed (Wooden Spoon)||Marketing||Wednesday 15th May 2019|
|Clair Johns||NATS||Air traffic controller & systems engineer||Friday 17th May 2019|
|Julian Sheahan||Beazley||Broker||Wednesday 22nd May 2019|
Please see below our Careers contacts or alternatively you may call the Court Moor admin office on 01252 615065.
Careers Lead: Julia Vale - Assistant Head Teacher
Careers Co-ordinator: Arvinder Mankoo
Careers Advisor: Nickki Coleman
Policy statement on provider access can be found on link below.
Nikki Coleman, Careers Adviser from NC Careers is available in school every Friday and every other Wednesday. Mrs Coleman can be contacted on firstname.lastname@example.org. For information about what Mrs Coleman can offer please see the presentation below.
Dates of all local college open events for 2018-2019 can been viewed in the document below.